One of the big differences about Newman is that success is measured in a variety of ways. From WorldSkills achievements or gaining full-time employment, an Apprenticeship or Traineeship to national VET qualifications achieved and gaining industry experience, university offers, or simply developing skills that you didn’t think possible while doing your HSC. Every Newman student can experience success.
An integral ingredient to this recipe for success is another big difference about Newman – that difference is the fully integrated and supported Workplace Learning Program!
As part of the HSC course and Vocational Education & Training, Year 11 and 12 Newman students attend industry workplaces one day per week, and in block weeks. This on-the-job training provides young people work experience that enhances their learning and demonstrates to employers, training providers, and universities that these students are motivated. It also provides students scope to explore career pathways across a number of industries. Many local trades and businesses also find their next apprentice, trainee, full-time or casual employee, through the Newman Workplace Learning Program.
Success @ Newman in 2021:
- 96 School-based Trainees and Apprentices were employed across 26 different vocations
- 55 students received full-time Apprenticeships or Traineeships whilst enrolled at Newman College in 2021
- Year 11 students (including School-based Trainees and Apprentices) completed 24,502 hours in the workplace
- Year 12 students (including School-based Trainees and Apprentices) completed 57,959 hours in the workplace
- Over 90% success rate of university early entry applicants…
- 21 out of 23 Year 12 early-entry applicants to university were successful, receiving unconditional entry offers in their first- round including Nursing, K-12 Teaching, Paramedicine, Criminology, Nutrition Science Business at universities including: Charles Sturt University, University of Victoria, University of Newcastle and The Police Academy Goulburn
- Collectively Year 12 students completed 207 nationally recognised Certificates and 301 Statement of Attainments towards full certificates.
- The College Student Pathways and Careers team generated 1,321 Workplacement contracts for students to attend on-the-job training to complement their school courses and totalled 745 employers listed on the College database.
Discover your strengths, interests, direction at Newman College to help you find your sense of success.
It’s never too late to consider your future – call the College to have a chat about how you can get started. Enrolments are continuing but the earlier you start, the better.
Newman College Students:
- Experience up to 700+ hours each in the workplace as part of the on-the-job training associated with their HSC course choices
- Are provided training in work readiness before their first workplacement, including First Aid certification and Whitecard where industry appropriate
- Are supported by industry-trained teaching staff and The Future Hub @ Newman, the College dedicated career pathways team
- Study nationally recognised qualifications that are quality assured and acknowledged by universities and industry
- Are fully insured to work in industry
- Are amongst 400 students who chose Newman College each year to gain qualifications and develop skills that will help them become more employable.