At Busways, our core focus is on quality customer service, stakeholder engagement and employee development.
For over 80 years, we’ve delivered a professional, reliable standard of service. We currently operate bus service contracts for Transport for NSW in Western Sydney, North Shore and West, Central Coast and North Coast and the South Australian Public Transport Authority in Adelaide’s Outer South.
With a team of more than 2,800 people, committed to transporting over 53.7 million passenger journeys each year, we pride ourselves on taking a proactive approach to public transport delivery to ensure that the customer journey is seamless as possible.
- Are you passionate about repairing and maintaining vehicles?
- Are you looking to take the first step in a career that allows you to do what you love every day?
- Would you love to have access to emerging technologies?
- Would you like to earn above Award rates while you are doing this?
If you’ve answered ‘Yes’ to the above, then we would love to hear from you! This is an exciting opportunity to start your career with Busways and be part of a growing company and a friendly team environment, whilst undertaking a trade qualification. We are currently looking for a self-motivated individual to join our team as an Apprentice Diesel Mechanic at our Kempsey depot.
Reporting to the Workshop Supervisor, this role requires you to have a mature and professional approach with excellent communication skills. Your main responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Under supervision, learning the skills required to be part of the Workshop team
- Performing minor repairs and service of vehicles and equipment, in a timely manner, within your skill level and experience, under the supervision of a qualified tradesperson
- Enter into a 4-year training contract within a secure employment environment, undertaking a nationally recognised training program as a Diesel Mechanic - Cert III Heavy Vehicle Mechanical Technology
- Completing all units of the apprenticeship to the required standards and within the required time frame(s)
- Attending all required TAFE classes under the guidance of your mentors, supervisor and teachers
- Adhering to all Work, Health & Safety requirements whilst performing work duties
You will have the opportunity to:
- Work alongside trade qualified staff to assist the team in meeting the daily operational requirements whilst learning a trade along the way
- Assist in maintaining a fleet of vehicles including the latest models and innovative vehicle technology
- Receive full ‘on the job’ training from a mentor with solid mechanical experience, along with training and support from your TAFE lecturers
- Build a secure recession proof career that is always in demand
As a Busways employee you will:
- Be offered a competitive hourly rate that is above the current Modern Award rates. Competitive hourly rates for Adult Apprentices are also on offer.
- Be provided with a weekly Tool Allowance (as per the Award) to assist with the purchase and ongoing maintenance of your toolbox
- Be provided with an Attendance Allowance to be paid at the rate of $16 per day in addition to the hourly rates on offer
- Be provided with all work uniforms and any/all necessary PPE
- Be given the opportunity to grow, develop and take on additional responsibilities during your employment.
- Be provided with the opportunity to work overtime if required, under supervision, paid at applicable penalty rates
- Have the opportunity to upgrade from a car licence to an MR licence in the 4th year of your apprenticeship, with the cost paid for by the company once eligible
- Have the opportunity to work on a range of vehicles such as Euro 5 & 6 technologies
- Work within a close-knit and team orientated environment that celebrates together with quarterly BBQ’s
- Health and wellbeing programs (Fitness passport, Novated Lease Options, etc)
To be considered for this role, you will need to possess:
- A completed School Certificate or Higher School Certificate
- Good Mathematics, Science and English skills
- A strong work ethic which means you will be reliable, punctual, honest and committed to completing your trade qualification
- A genuine interest in pursuing a career in the automotive industry
- Good communication skills
- A strong focus on safety in the workplace
- A positive ‘Can Do’ attitude and be self-motivated, conscientious, and eager to learn
- The ability to take direction and show initiative in a fast paced environment
- A current driver’s licence or the ability to obtain one once you meet the minimum eligibility requirements
- Must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or have working rights in Australia
If you believe this is the perfect role for you, please apply by submitting a resume upon application. Individual applications will be processed as soon as they are received so if this position is for you, apply today! If you need any further clarification or assistance in the process of submitting your application, please contact our Recruitment Officer - Kristy Bowman Payne on 0400 879 545
Please click on the link below to apply:
Please note that prior to completing the Application form you should either have on hand or be prepared to submit the following documents to our recruitment team: your resume, a supporting cover letter as well as copies of your last two school reports.
Busways is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to achieving a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage applications from people representing all diversity groups and ages such as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, LGBTIQ+, people with disabilities, religious beliefs and ethnicity.